Sunday, December 12, 2010

Myers Weekly Prayer Letter

I heard the bells on Christmas day their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat of peace on earth, good-will to men.
And thought of how, as the day had come, the belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song of peace on earth, good-will to men.
Till, ringing, singing on its way, the world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime, of peace on earth good-will to men.
(Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, 1807-1892)
The hymn “I Heard the Bells” was written at Christmas time in 1863. The time at which the hymn was penned found the United States in the midst of bloody turmoil. The Civil War was at its climax. This beloved American poet (Wadsworth) must have been much concerned for in every stanza there is an emphasis on “peace on earth, good-will to men.”
(Christ and the Fine Arts, by Cynthia Pearl Maus, 1938, 1959, Harper & Brothers Publishers, New York)
May the peace of Christmas fill each of our hearts with joy.

--We enjoyed our visit with Larry and Dianne Randolph. The Randolphs arrived on Tuesday and left Wednesday for Mbabane to spend time with the Allens and Hoskins. We appreciate the ministry of Larry and Dianne and also their friendship. I have to tell you of the wonderful welcome Larry and Dianne received at the farm. After getting checked into the guesthouse they followed Wayne back to our house. Upon entering our driveway they witnessed a bird swooping down upon a snake. The snake retaliated by trying to get the bird. This happened twice. Upon closer inspection (Wayne with his camera) we identified the snake as a vine snake, white with gray/black markings. (It is one of the poisonous varieties we find here in Swaziland.) What a welcome!!

--I am sorry but I don’t have an update on the revival at Ntuthwakazi (December 6-11). Revival services do end tomorrow night. Please continue praying that many lost in the community will hear the Gospel message and respond.

--Tomorrow we will attend the wedding of Chris Msibi and S’phesihle Sithole at the Florence Christian Academy (near Hluti) in the Shiselweni region. We have known and worked with Chris for many years. He was pastor of the Nhlangano and Mgamudze Baptist Churches before attending the Ngwane Teacher College for his teaching certificate. He has been teaching primary students and is currently attending college classes to receive his Teacher’s Degree. Pray Chris and S’phesihle will understand God’s plan for marriage. Pray they will be witnesses to other Christian couples.

--Monday-Wednesday (December 13-15) is the Swazi Team’s end-of-the-year retreat!! In the past this time has enabled the Team to not only have great fellowship together but also praise the Lord for His blessings the past year and a time of planning and prayer for future work. We thank the Lord for this special time of celebration. Pray for safe travel to White River, South Africa. Pray this retreat will be a special and beneficial time for the Swazi Team. Pray in all things the Lord will be glorified.

--Friday December 17th, Wayne will have his root canal work completed that was started last month after a week of pain and discomfort. Pray everything will go well!!

AIDS UPDATE: Sunday we were invited to attend the Mafacula Baptist Church’s children’s Christmas party. The children were in charge of the worship and food was provided following the service. After we had eaten we were asked to go to a home and pray for a young lady of the church who was very sick. We were told she had TB or possibly pneumonia. When we hear this we always think of HIV/AIDS since TB is one of the main symptoms of the disease. When we arrived we found this young lady had been my interpreter for Luwhhawhhaweni when I was leading a weekly children’s Bible study. She had lost weight and was clearly struggling to breath. The group prayed for her. The mother reported her daughter had started coughing up blood and they were returning to Siteki on Monday to get he reports from previous x-rays and to see the doctor. Pray for this one to receive medical help that is needed. If she is HIV/AIDS pray she will be able to soon begin taking the ARVs that will prolong her life. Pray she will also know what the Lord expects of her as His child and may she be comforted to know He is walking beside her.

Who said, “I will venture to go down, but remember that you must hold the ropes”? William Carey, an 18th century Baptist cobbler in England who became known as the “father of modern missions” for his 1792 journey to India to preach the gospel.

LOTTIE MOON CHRISTMAS OFFERING:Goal: 175 million

A testimony from a Swazi: “I accepted the Lord in October 1994. Before I was a Christian I didn’t know I was a sinner. I thought I was perfect. I didn’t fight with others or drink. I saw other people going to church but I didn’t know why they were going. The Baptist missionaries who came to Swaziland helped me change. Through their teaching I came to know I needed Jesus in my life. I learned I was a sinner and I needed Jesus to change me. I asked Him for forgiveness of my sins. Before the Baptists, I never had a person talk to me about Jesus or ask me if I was a Christian.”Because of your giving to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering, we are able to share the Gospels with many Swazis such as this one. Many have come to know Jesus as their Savior. Thank you for your sacrificial giving. Please give to the 2010 Lottie Moon Christmas Offering so many lost people (such as the Swazis of Swaziland) will have a chance to hear the salvation story and believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment